...because it seems there is not alot of Nexstar SE Info out there

The idea for starting my own website/blog came to me when I was looking for information about the Nexstar SE series telescopes on the internet. There are a couple of amateur sites out there (check the list of sites on the left) as well as the official Celestron website but I found that most of these sites were sometimes catered to the seasoned amateur astronomer and were a little difficult for me to understand. So I decided to write down my experience with this telescope so that maybe someone else might benefit from it. Oh - and I don't have any connections to Celestron - I only chose the orange color for the blog since I thought it would go nice with all the pictures of an orange telescope ...

Saturday, September 5, 2009

adventures in unpacking


Last friday, my new Nexstar 6 SE telescope arrived via UPS. My wife sent me an SMS saying "one HUGE box arrived today - it must be your new telescope !". I had to reign in my excitement until after the kids had gone to bed so that i could unpack and assemble the scope in peace and quiet.


I had ordered the following items:
  • Nexstar 6 SE telescope
  • Kendrick heated dew cap with 12V adapter cable
  • 12V adapter cable to power the telescope
A box, in a box in other box
The telescope arrived in one single box. Inside was another box, which then had four more boxes inside. That's a nice stack of empty boxes i had lying around when everything was upacked. Here's what was in the boxes:

  1. biggest box - optical tube, nicely protected in a styrofoam case
  2. longest box - tripod with a kendrick heated dew shield, which i had ordered separately
  3. two small boxes - eyepiece, star diagonal and the other box was disappointingly empty
"that looks like it's really good quality"
That's what my wife said when i had everything upacked and had moved the boxes out of the way. She especially liked the heavy single fork arm and was glad that the optical tube was not as orange as the ads on the internet had let us believe : ) And i had to agree - so far everything looked very nice with good packaging and no loose parts flying around in any boxes. The optical tube was covered in an extra layer of paper which had to be removed. There were no visible marks or scratches of any kind on either the optical tube or on the tripod. I had read other reviews on the internet where this was not the case - so i guess i got lucky.

Unfortunately, the 12V power adapter was missing but a quick email later, it was shipped out and should be on the way.

This time around i put all the boxes up in the attic so that i could use them again if need be. Something i did not do when i got the LX-10.


So now i just had to wait for a cear night out to test my new GOTO telescope !

...unfortunately i was too excited and eager to assemble the scope so i forgot to take pictures while unpacking.



No comments:

Post a Comment