...because it seems there is not alot of Nexstar SE Info out there

The idea for starting my own website/blog came to me when I was looking for information about the Nexstar SE series telescopes on the internet. There are a couple of amateur sites out there (check the list of sites on the left) as well as the official Celestron website but I found that most of these sites were sometimes catered to the seasoned amateur astronomer and were a little difficult for me to understand. So I decided to write down my experience with this telescope so that maybe someone else might benefit from it. Oh - and I don't have any connections to Celestron - I only chose the orange color for the blog since I thought it would go nice with all the pictures of an orange telescope ...

Sunday, October 4, 2009

first Moon photo


A full moon can be so bright !
Last night i went out to try to take a picture of the full moon using the prime focus method. I quickly realized that the full moon does not fit into the viewfield so i had to take two pictures which i then had to doctor together in photoshop. I wanted to try the "photomerge" feature but ever since i upgraded to Snow Leopoard, Photoshop crashes alot and the photomerge feature is not working at all anymore......

So here is my first picture of the moon:

The image was altered in photoshop using unsharpen mask as well as brightness and contrast correction.

It was a cloudy night and i think a little cloud can be seen at the very top of the image. I probably took 10 to 15 pictures but could only use two or three in the end due to clouds that only showed up in the final images and where not visible on the cameras LCD screen.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome blog. Thank you so much for posting this. I am thinking about getting a Nextstar 6 SE for taking photos. I was wondering if you could post some pics of what the Telescope looks like with your camera attached. That's the part that I don't understand, is how you connect a camera to one of these Telescopes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi anonymous : ) i will do that for you the next time i use the telescope. The weather has been quite bad for the last couple of days, so it might take a week or so : ) thanks for commenting on my blog - you're number two : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again,
    I have been experimenting with a Canon 250D attached to a 6SE and getting some reasonable results. One of my problems, though is keeping the telescope steady enough for really long exposures of deep sky images. I can't seem to expose for longer than 2 or 3 secs without some kind of "trailing" on the stars. Have you tried any really long exposure photography? I live in Australia, so we are into summer and have some very nice clear skies at the moment.
    cheers,
    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Wayne - to be honest I've not had the chance yet to take longer exposures. However I've read on the cloudynights forums that exposures if 10-30 seconds should be ok - even without a polar wedge. But I think you'll always get some circular motion due to the missing polar wedge.

    Unfortunately it is winter here and although we've had some great clear skies,I absolutely hate it when I'm freezing my fingers off trying to operate a scope at 0 degrees....

    My email address is marc.baier@mac.com if you like to reach me directly :)
    cheers
    Marc

    ReplyDelete